Monday 2 July 2012

GURU PURNIMA :: The Legend


The Legend on Guru’s Feet

Bharata, the younger brother of Lord Rama, refused to accept the kingdom of Ayodhya during Rama’s exile in the forest, because his own mother’s ambition had been its cause. He went in search of Rama, hoping to perform the coronation ceremony for him there and bring him back to Ayodhya.
However Rama, faithful to the laws of Dharma, declined to break his promise. Then Bharata hunted out a pair of gold sandals and said, “I beg you to stand on these sandals for a moment, which will become sanctified by the touch of your holy feet and they will bear the burden of ruling the kingdom.”
Rama smiled at Bharata; stood on the golden sandals for a moment and then gave them back. Bharata prostrated before the sandals and said “I will place these sandals on the throne, and they will rule the kingdom as your symbols. I will merely serve as your representative.”
Bharata then placed the sandals on his head with reverence and went around Rama 3 times, carrying the sandals on his head. Bharata then went to Nandigrama, where the coronation of the sandals took place. He then returned to Ayodhya and addressing his elders said “I have been appointed as the guardian of Ayodhya and my brother’s sandals will rule the kingdom. For me, these are the blessed feet of my brother and they will inspire me to walk on the right path and never to diverge from it. I will guard them with my life”.
Bharata lived outside Ayodhya and would speak to the sandals and report to them about the various happenings in the kingdom. He did nothing without consulting them. And they, in turn, granted Bharata the insight and wisdom that he needed to resolve every situation in a righteous manner.
Dedicating everything to the sandals, Bharata ruled the kingdom for 14 years until Rama returned to Ayodhya, defeating the demon Ravana.

No comments:

Post a Comment